Friday, November 13, 2009


Red hair in Mexico is a sign of bad luck. Accused are guilty until proven innocent in the justice system. Not all police carry guns due to the costs of training and supplying them with weapons. A young policeman was recently killed in San Luis Potosi, Mexico when responding to a house break-in because the thieves were armed and he was not. When a cop pulls you over in my husband's home state, the deal is you hand over a few pesos and go on your way. Bribery isn't a subject of problem.

These are just a few differences I've not forgotten upon visiting his hometown. Walking downtown, I was delighted to see the churches filled to standing room only on a Sunday afternoon. Even young people were present and it wasn't a holiday. Although one weekend I was there, it was a sort of a holiday although I wasn't aware. I thought chaos had erupted on the streets.

It was still dark out and I woke up to the sound of a cannon ball firing. What the...? I laid still and waited. It happened again. Then the church bells started ringing. I'm used to the church bells noting the hour but they started ringing and wouldn't stop. I wondered, "Is this code for emergency like a siren is back home?" I began calling my husband's name.

"Hey wake up, wake up. What's going on!?"
"Nothing."
"Did you hear the cannons?"
"Those are fireworks, Natalie. Go back to sleep. It's a procession."

He resumed snoring before his head hit the pillow. I laid there for the next hour and listened to the festivities. Checking my cell phone, it was 5 am, or was it 4? We fell back the night before and later I found out this was the way of the church to celebrate this change, by singing, parading and firing fireworks down the city street at 5 am.

I'd walked in a procession before in Urbino, Italy. It was an inspiring moment. The faithful walked up a winding mountain chanting prayers and singing hymns as the priest led the way. The purpose of this procession was to transfer a painting of the Madonna from one church to another. Children were dressed up in angel costumes and parents encouraged them to stay together and usher us along the way with their wings. I saw more than one old woman wearing a necklace with a type of locket that displayed a photo of a deceased husband. Its length such that it rested along their heart.

One thing remains known, in any country be it Mexico or what have you, you are bound
to discover intrigue and surprise. Fortunate is one who is able to shed their ways, foods, thoughts, practices, language and find their altered self living among another culture's reality. For it changes and challenges yours forever.

1 comment: