Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Do You Take Bubbles in Your Tea?

With the encouragement of my Chinese friend, Fangfang (sounds like pong), I was sipping my first cream Jasmine Green bubble tea through a jumbo straw. The bubbles, made of rice, mingle with the ice in this special cold tea. That is if you take it with bubbles. I have to admit, I would order it again. I wasn't sure if I should chew the bubbles that are gooey or just swallow them.
After we finished our tea, we started walking around the Hong Kong City Mall of Houston. Fangfang began to enlighten my ignorance about Chinese culture. I've been her friend for two years, but I suppose I was awakened to the unfamiliar sights and sounds around me. I felt as if I had entered a small Asia in the middle of the city I now know as home.

Shark Fin's soup. Yes, this is what the label on the soup can indicated was waiting inside.
"Ok, who eats this?"
"Very rich people in China," she replied.
'Then what do the poor eat?' I thought.
Culture shock. The foods of cultures other than mine are shocking at times. My husband, of Mexico, has an exotic palate. He's more likely to try new foods and appreciates a variety of cuisines. I'm more apprehensive. Growing up, we had spaghetti once a week. And sometimes-leftover spaghetti the next day.

But now I'm envisioning worms because Fangfang just revealed she likes bamboo worms. Apparently bamboo hosts a worm one can hunt and eat with pleasure. I'm not a fan of worms but in all honesty I've never tried them so I cannot say they are half as tasty as the fake gummy candy I sometimes chew on long road trips and loved as a kid.

Our food adventure did not end there. Yao Ming owns a restaurant in Houston so we decided to check it out. To Fangfang's delight it, the two items we ordered were definitely the style one would experience in China. I tried Wong Tong soup for the first time. I liked the soft wong tong filled with ground beef flavored soup with green onions. The dessert was even better. The description sounded like a doughnut but thankfully was much more unique. The fried bread is hand held and is dipped into a cream sauce. It is sweet but not so sweet one feels sick like after eating a normal doughnut one would find in the States. And I should know because I had three of these Chinese bread-like doughnuts. I was left without the usual regret as well.

As we enjoyed Yao's restaurant, Fangfang described an experience in a  particular high end restaurant in Shanghai or 上海. For the right price, one can enjoy their meal with added benefits. The staff prepares their customers for the complete enjoyment of the meal. The aim: to relax the guest so they might enjoy their meal to the fullest. First, guests are seated on couches in front of flat screen televisions and given hot towels and simple back and head massages as they get ready for their feast. This is included in the overall price of the meal. Each guest has their personal waitress leaving no detail neglected. Each guest soon begins the many courses which are presented with artsy flare, and according to Fangfang, the highest tastes in the perfect food order.

So despite the exotic or sometimes downright scary foods various cultures consume, I have gained the appreciation of the variety. And of the chance I might even like it. While my taste buds may lack an adventurous spirit, they actually appreciate change. Maybe not all change. The most shocking item she described was cocoon. One finds a cocoon, drops it in the hot oil and when it stops moving, one knows it is ready to eat! I cannot imagine the sight or taste but again I'm told it is very yummy.

And like Mexicans I know, she likes and eats pig's feet. But who am I to turn my nose up? I eat items I have no idea where they originated from (other than perhaps engineered by in a mad scientists' lab) nor know the long term effects. Take a box of crackers (made in U.S.A. of course) from my pantry. Ingredients listed, "disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate, yellow 5, blue 1". That reminds me, I should get the recipe for Wong Tong soup, and blue 1.


No comments:

Post a Comment