Thursday, May 20, 2010

What's up with Arizona?

   In my dream, as I'm sipping wine and eating the best pizza I know of in Rome, some uniformed official walks up to me and demands to see my passport. Darn, it's at the hotel via Boschetto. Signore, I'm on my anniversary trip and we walked here so per favore wait. And I don't speak Italiano very bene.
   I was recently in Italy and it got me thinking. What if I was stopped and demanded to see my proof that I was only visiting Italia? I'd be more than a little offended knowing Italians are very laid back, gain a huge livelihood off my tourism but most importantly what did I do to piss them off. Now I'm now wishing I'd forgone that second glass of wine to explain who I am without any paper proof. Now this is just a dream but imagine this.
   Imagine now you're in your car or on the bus getting to work and some dude has stopped you to ask to see your proof that you belong legally in the United States. I'd be quite offended. This is based on how I appear to look. I'll tell you right now, my husband looks European, but he's Mexican. He's here legally, always has been, but he wouldn't even get stopped based on looks, yet he's Mexican. I mean, damn, I even mistook his best friend and during first introductions. I asked ignorantly, "And what part of Mexico are you from?" His darker skinned, Hispanic looking friend said, "Well actually I'm from Texas." Oh, well so much for making a good impression on this cutie I was crushing on...he eventually forgave me (hence the marriage) but his friend I'm sure thought I was quite an idiot for some time.
   And I was ignorant. Ignorant to the fact that not everyone who looks a certain was is or in some cases isn't. And that's the problem. No one should be stopped because they look like a thief, illegal immigrant, call girl etc unless they've committed some sort of crime. I mean, really? This is some one's real answer to an immigration problem?
   I know it exists. I know it's not fair to my husband who played by the rules for others to break them. It makes it all more expensive and harder for us who play by the rules. But there are limits to policing this problem and I'm happy Obama and Calderón are coming together over this. Texas must remember it benefits from many Hispanics whether legal or not. It does. It may hurt too but there's no reason to support Arizona's ignorance in this particular method at solving this issue. Better solutions can be deployed.

Here's a story about Obama and Calderón coming together over Arizona that inspired me to write today.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7013495.html

I welcome comments. And as it's been said before...but yes, the Jews were forced to wear stars for the Nazis. Read Corrie Ten Boom's The Hiding Place. She was a Christian jailed and lucky she didn't die in captivity for her attempts to stand up what she believed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment